These are some basic stuff you'll learn when you check out this free seo course but in the meantime, here are some basics (and I'm talking really, really basic):
1. Identify all major topics and subtopics for your website. Before you can choose your keywords, you need to figure out what topics you're going to talk about. Once you figure that out, you can start to build your keywords list. For example, for an seo domain like this I'd talk about things like META tags, duplicate content, linkbaiting, link building, link trades, viral marketing. Try writing an outline and go as deep as you can. For example, break down viral marketing into link baiting, social bookmarking, digg, and then break link baiting down to different types (attack baint, controversy bait, ego bait, resource bait), then break Ego bait down into how to steps (include the target's name in a blog title, trackbacking, etc).
2. Come up with keywords based on your list of topics. You will never get the amount of traffic you need to run an online business if you just build resourceful pages, cross your fingers, and hope you'll rank for something tasty. You need to lay out your entire website in advance. Identify all the key topics.
3. Build the content. Optimize the page title using your keywords at the beginning of the title. That's it.
4. Publicize. If people don't link to you with relevant text, it doesn't matter what you say about your page, Google won't believe you. Use blogs, forums, comments on other people's blogs, whatever it takes to get your page noticed and get the linkeratis linking.
5. Link build. Organic links are king, but still you're not going to go wrong by submitting to high quality directories and other types of sites that improves your authority score.
5. Track performance. Some people believe in just tracking overall traffic levels, but you really should not ignore the primary keywords that's generating traffic to any specific page. Those are keywords you already rank well for. So all you need is to improve your position slightly to see even more traffic. You don't want to waste alot of time improving your ranking for keywords that are only generating a couple of uniques a day.
6. Rinse and repeat.
I just found out about this white hat contest Carcasherdotcom seocontest run by a car casher company. So I'm writing a draft of my carcasherdotcom seocontest page here for later development. I should really be developing this page on my oldest domain, but what the hell, right? I'm adding a link here Carcasherdotcom seocontest to see if that helps this page appear in the MSN results. BTW, the link points to the domain root. BTW, yes I know I don't have a link up to carcasher.com. It's on my todo list :D
P.S. Call me clueless. Why does this page even show up on top 50 of 1,740,000 results for "Carcasherdotcom seocontest"? Considering I only have one link pointing to this page, it just seems crazy. I guess not alot of SEOs are interested in this contest or just plain busy.
Psss. I'll link up to some sites I like, who knows, it could be you. Not that it'll matter, but every little link juice helps.
Well, I must say most of the on-page stuff I've looked at so far for this carcasherdotcom SEOcontest has been pretty boring, with a few exceptions. I haven't bothered checking linkage which is the key factor in all this of course (or is it? let's say it again: Carcasherdotcom seocontest) but i just don't feel like it. And...looks like I was too cheap to link to anyone. Well, ok. carcasherdotcom seocontest - there I linked to Jim, since I read alot of his stuff and he always has some interesting things to say.
By the way, I noticed this Carcasherdotcom seocontest page was ranking somewhere on Google since I saw "carcasherdotcom seocontest" pop up on my server stats (I seem to not have my tracker working on this page). I only seen it once this month, so that tells you even guys into SEO contests don't look further than 1-30 in SERPS.
I don't remember anymore if the carcasherdotcom seocontest was for Google or MSN SERPS. Anyhoo, just for kicks I want to try ranking a little higher on MSN by working on on-page factors. I'm on the 5th page right now when I search for "carcasherdotcom seocontest" on MSN.com. I wonder why my position is close to identical with both SEs?? Hopefully MSN re-crawls this page soon since the cache looks pretty old. I guess bump up keyword frequency a tad (say it again sam - Carcasherdotcom seocontest), add more H tags, use bold, and whatever else just repeat the keyword carcasherdotcom seocontest like a black hat, lol. According to a text analyzer, frequency is around 1.7% which seems a bit low.
While I'm at it, I guess I'll add this page to my brog roll. I also added this page to del.icio.us using the words "carcasherdotcom seocontest" as the tag. I don't know how del.icio.us works, so..whatever.
I gotta say I really like the site in 1st place right now, shortcuts.biz. He's doing it with a one page blog and short feeds. I have to get up to speed on that stuff. The page is already PR 6' I guess people like his site. BTW I noticed the page count on Google for carcasherdotcom seocontest has dropped from 1.7 mil to around 1 mil.
Now the guy in 1st place right now (carcasherdotcom-seocontest.com) has 30k links showing on Yahoo Site Explorer. He's got a linkin from http://www.chiefshuddle.com/. It's got a blog and a forum...This search is interesting. Wow..the cache of one of the results shows a link to carcasherdotcom-seocontest.com in the page footer. The link isn't there on the live page. I guess its either periodicly rotated paid link,cloaked page, or this guy owns the forum. Since they're in small grey font they're obviously not there for generating clicks. They're pretty crappy lookin links though, like http://carcasherdotcom-seocontest.world-of-nintendo.com/. lol.
Same deal with this Carcasherdotcom seocontest forum - text anchor link in the footer. Chiefshuddle is private whois/domains by proxy, and carcasherdotcom-seocontest.com is owned by Jesse S.
This page looks spammy as hell. So far no legit-looking links! This one is also your typical spam page, whois protected by whoisguard and hosted on realitychecknetworks, one of my hosts. I guess this guy isn't gonna get paid :D Another carcasherdotcom seocontest footer under sponsors.
A feedburner link led me to this blog entry about The importance of doman names in Google. I was going to post a flame but I stopped myself. I'm going to flame here instead, lol. He claimed that since the top 10 domains all contained the words carcasherdotcom seocontest this shows Google values keywords in domains more than Yahoo. That's really sharp thinking...not.
This carcasher feedburner feed link is probably the first legit link I've seen so far for this site. Another Carcasherdotcom seocontest crap page... Lol I thought this contest was white hat only. Another forum footer... Wikipedia clone ... wow this is a good lesson in black hat :D
So basically this Carcasherdotcom seocontest site is 1st on Google because of the sheer mass of incoming links with anchor text that says carcasherdotcom seocontest. Google can be pretty lame sometimes.
Copyright seo 4 fun baby